500 Photos

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Crying Wife

The Crying Wife. Ok, I'll be the first to admit, I love a good tear-jerker. And yes, I do spill a few tears. The very first time this happened to me (and I am not making this up) is when Han Solo is frozen in carbonite in Empire Strikes Back. He looks at her. She looks at him. She says "I love you". He says "...I know". I just watched a great film with Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart called "Love Happens". Reviews were horrible for it, but I liked it. The side story with Walter is where most of the tears happen.

Here is what makes a great film for me.
1. Rewatchability. I can watch "300" over and over again. "9" also. "You've Got Mail." All these movies have the rewatchability aspect I look for. Either visually, or funny, or something that makes me want to sit and watch it over and over again. "Transformers 2" horrible. I'll probably never watch again. "Chicago" had a couple great songs, but I don't want to rewatch.
2. Clean Language. I prefer my films clean, "Lord of the Rings", "Star Wars", "9", etc. Angela says I block out the language and never notice it, and she is partialy correct. I worked in a prison, and I guess I learned to tune out certain words. But I do catch the language, especially when it's out of place. A bank thief getting caught by police, I probably tune out. A mother making dinner cussing up a storm, out of place and I catch every word. I really hate the "F" and "G.D." A good example, "Avatar" I thought was clean of language, was going to take my son to see it. Angela made a point that it did in fact have language and I tuned it out. After reading a review, the language was by the marines and the corporate boss dude, which the language (to me) fit the characters so for them to say something didn't seem out of place.
3. Emotional. I want to care about the characters. And yes, I want to have my tears jerked.
4. Cinematography. "Lord of the Rings", "300", "The English Patient", "Brokeback Mountain". Stunning landscapes. Fluid camera movement. Bright colors or dark and contrasty.
5. Pixar. Shouldn't have to say much here. If it's made by Pixar, it's gonna be good. Feature length films and short films, it's all good.

Oops, slipped into movie blogging mode again. Ok, I did take a few photos tonight. Mostly just to refamiliarize myself with my lighting again. It has been awhile since I used it. So tonight was more of a fun with Eliana night then a shooting for submission night.
She was getting tired and was losing interest. But I am going to try some more in the morning after a great night's (hopefully) sleep.

Don't forget to enter Oscar contest.

Wow, it's late. Night night.

No comments: